Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fun Collaboration Writing Project

Becoming a writer means you need to write. I have struggled to write creatively, blogs and articles I am just fine, but getting through the creative blocks of perceived embarrassment and so forth. So I came up with a fun little game that is actually turning out to be a great, fantastic exercise with another budding writer friend.

We are collaborating on a practice project that is turning into much more. Here's what we are doing.

We are starting with a two sentence premise I had from a writing website. The original idea was to write a short story around that premise. Except what we are doing is much more. I designed it for two purposes, practice writing and expand our creativity skills.

Here are the rules.

  1. We write every other chapter (he is odds, I am even)
  2. Each chapter must be 1,000 to 2,000 words for speed.
  3. We can't kill off the protagonists, but their actions are whatever we choose.
  4. We can introduce new characters as long as they 'fit'.
  5. We can't talk about our ideas and plans for story direction. The only guide is what has been written up to that point.
  6. We do this for 40 chapters and wee what we get in the end.
When we get done with 10 chapters we will go back and edit, clean it up and I will post them. So far we started off with a story about teenage angst and a mother daughter relationship problems in a family going through a rough divorce. But it has evolved into a political, spy thriller... I am waiting for my partner to finish his next chapter so I have no idea where it's going to go next. 

Stay tuned.

Time To Turn The Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment