We are collaborating on a practice project that is turning into much more. Here's what we are doing.
We are starting with a two sentence premise I had from a writing website. The original idea was to write a short story around that premise. Except what we are doing is much more. I designed it for two purposes, practice writing and expand our creativity skills.
Here are the rules.
- We write every other chapter (he is odds, I am even)
- Each chapter must be 1,000 to 2,000 words for speed.
- We can't kill off the protagonists, but their actions are whatever we choose.
- We can introduce new characters as long as they 'fit'.
- We can't talk about our ideas and plans for story direction. The only guide is what has been written up to that point.
- We do this for 40 chapters and wee what we get in the end.
When we get done with 10 chapters we will go back and edit, clean it up and I will post them. So far we started off with a story about teenage angst and a mother daughter relationship problems in a family going through a rough divorce. But it has evolved into a political, spy thriller... I am waiting for my partner to finish his next chapter so I have no idea where it's going to go next.
Time To Turn The Page.