Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Story, New Approach

In preparation for National Novel Writing Month and how I am going to get 50,000 words written this morning I tried a new approach. Instead of figuring out when to write during my busy day, which I will still do, I decided to get up before my household does.

I have not been a morning person, ever. Staying under the warm embrace of my covers until the absolute last second before I have to get up and going. Today I switched it up and got up at 5am and drove right into writing. Well, I made a cup of coffee first of course, then I sat right down and let it flow.

I had about 45 minutes of uninterrupted silence until the rest of the household stirred awake and in that time I was able to crank out 1,100 words on a story I am calling The Murder of Mr. Tipton. 1,100 words is not bad at all in that time. I had a loose idea what the story would be like but no idea how it was going to flow. I let me mind and fingers take over and in the first 1,100 words I am on track to my plan but created details and background I never thought of when I sketched it up.

Maybe I am a morning person, my brain anyway.

For NaNoWriMo you need to average 1,600 words a day roughly to hit 50,000. That's the challenge to get that pace. I don't think I will write everyday, I will try, but I will probably do more 3,000+ words in a session than shorter sessions.

Good stuff.

Time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment