Monday, August 9, 2021

How To Get Readers, Enter Contests

Writers write for two reasons. For themselves first and for others second. In order to get the second one to kick off is to get it front of people. The more the people the more feedback, the more followers, the more drive you get to keep writing. There are so many sites, so many writers and so much content being posted and published it's nearly impossible to be stumbled upon and gain that without work on your part.. or you hire a firm and they do it for you, for a price that you won't have. 

One of the easiest ways I have found is to submit your work to contests. Contests do a few things for writers. First it's a gateway to get your work read, good or bad, it will get read. If you make it to be considered for the contest, more people will read your work. Lastly, you might win. If not you will get more readers that potentially will follow you, give you feedback, make a connection and who knows what could happen from there. 

That's what I am doing. I am going to be working to get as many of my short stories finalized and completed, posted to Wattpad and submit them for consideration to a contest on Wattpad called the Ambys 2021.  

We'll see how it turns out. If everyone tells me my stuff sucks, I'll take it. Bad feedback at this stage would be very productive to improve and build on. 

The only little glitch was that the contest rules said the stories had to be stand alone publications and not part of an overall collection of stories. Originally each story was going to be part of a collection book. Now they will be published as stand alone stories, I can always put them together later. 

I changed the first story's title and re-published it. The story is now called Time For Bed. I used a stock photography service I pay for and Canva to create a cover. 

That's the new process going forward, now I have to get back to revising and writing. 

Time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment