Thursday, October 31, 2013

National Novel Writing Month Starts Tomorrow

Tomorrow starts the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and I am getting ready to participate. I have no idea if I will be able to do it but I think I can pull it off. I have been reading forum posts, pep talk emails that they have and reading other participants work to get an idea of how to tackle this.

I will be finally focusing on my Perspectives project for my novel. Pathetically I laid out Perspectives last August, 2012, and only have one story done and the rest sketched out. In fact most of my writings are short, fast, and I spend way too much time planning to get it right the first time and not let it flow. Hopefully NaNoWriMo attempt will force me to break that mental block. It will also force me to not get distracted by non productive activities like short YouTube breaks, reading countless IT security articles for leisure, or day dreaming up new stories and ideas but never getting the composed on paper into a story.

50,000 words in 30 days and I have the project laid out. The only excuse is my own.

Here are the tips I am going to follow during the next 30 days -

  • It's a first draft.
  • Write and keep writing not worrying about what was written.
  • I can only read one paragraph from the last writing session. 
  • No editing or going back.
  • It's a draft, it's supposed to be sloppy, full of holes, too long or too short and have mistakes.
  • It's a draft.
  • December is for editing, January is for editing, the future is for editing, not in November.
  • If I think it belongs, write it, if I am second guessing if something will work or not, write it. 
  • Perfection will never come in a draft. 
  • Don't stop. Don't make excuses. Don't skip a planned session. 
  • This will be the hardest thing I will do but the most satisfying when I am done. 
  • This will break the cherry of the over analytical mind. 
  • Write focused, not casual.
  • Write to your daily goal, always.
On a side note, I did start and after I finish writing this post return to finish a new short story called The Murder of Mr. Tipton. Many more to come but not until I get 50,000 words of Perspectives written in the next 30 days.

Time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment