Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Read Your Work Outloud To Yourself

Your writing is from the inner depths of your mind. Generated, sent to your fingers and on to the paper. I have found while I am revising, and writing new for that matter, it helps to hear myself write. It comes down to understanding how the brain works, especially when you are working with anything analytical. 

So run with it. Read your stories to yourself but read them out loud. Hear the words you wrote, they will sound different, feel fresh and flow differently when you hear them vs. reading them. The last few days as I have been finishing up my first rounds of revision I found myself working through a block by reading it to myself. 

I found myself really expanding my dialogue. Talking out the parts back and forth I found new ways to approach the conversation, change the words used, it really helped bring our the organic nature of how people talk rather than a formula, book learning method. 

Like everything this may not work for you, but I found it helped a great deal for me. Writing doesn't need to be contained between the mind and hands. Use all the areas of your brain and body to get what you really mean out of you and put into your writing worlds how you mean. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment