Sunday, July 25, 2021

Read About Writing But Writing Is The Best Way To Learn

Like any craft writing is a skill that requires study. Also, like any craft, there are thousands of resources each describing their own way to go about it. How to start, plan, write, edit, finish, publish and everything in between. You could spend all your time reading how to write and not take what you read to write. 

Art is a style. It can be learned, it can be gifted to some but it can't grow without using it. That's the balance. As a budding writer you a probably an avid reader as well. As you write, get stuck or as part of your routine you can get swallowed in the piles of book, articles and blog posts about getting better at your craft. That's what I found myself doing the past few days, reading too much. 

I missed blog posts, I got behind on my writing schedule, my revisions are behind and overall my craft is not improving because I am not working on it. You can get the knowledge all you want but until you put that knowledge into practice and actually do it the craft will not improve. 

I would say that reading, any reading, is vital for a writer. Just like an artist going to museums, athletes watching other games and studying film, musicians listening to other music. Those are all vital to learning the craft but each and every one of them, including writers, need to practice to build the muscle memory to become their own masters of their craft and style. 

Write.

No comments:

Post a Comment