Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Unwinding A Story Out Of Control

I am working in going back and editing stories for a collection I plan to finalize and release. I am stuck on a story that is slowly getting out of control. It's spiraling my mind into one of the pitfalls that has kept me from finishing anything I write. Over analyzing. Second guessing. Finding every fault and questioning my own reality in the worlds I create. 

The story begins at one setting and I know the ending. It's the middle that has grown, backstory added and now the plot doesn't flow. The changes I made were intended to help fill in the gaps of the plot to the big question, "How did we get here?". Now I have create more questions than answers and the story grows. 

For a short story this is ballooning into something bigger than the initial character was intended to support. That's editing. I am at the point to scrap it and set it aside but deeper down I cannot. What I will do is move on to the next story and go back to that one. Let the story stew and re-form in my dreams and let the holes fill in themselves. 

That's the joy of creating. Pushing your mind to a completed product and fighting with the same mind to tell it that it is in fact, completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment