Thursday, May 17, 2012

Don't Make It Work, Turn It Into Routine

Hard work is hard. It's hard to do. Hard on your mind and body. Hard to keep doing it. Very hard to keep wanting to do it. It wouldn't be called hard work if it was anything less than that.

Everything new in life is hard at the start. Humans are creatures of habit, if you don't believe me then why do you buy the same brand of milk, shampoo, bread? So when I started this journey on writing I knew it was going to be hard and it has been awful. But I keep doing it, changing my approach, fitting it into my daily routine. Slowly but surely it's becoming part of my daily routine and not as hard to sit down and write 1,000 words. The process of writing is hard but actually doing it now is a little bit less hard. The more I do it the more the easier it will get for the act of writing. Content is a different story.

Even though I intend this blog and @geektoauthor to be more about my writing, I cannot ignore the holistic lifestyle changes that are coming along with it. This year, 2012, I finally found that spark of motivation in everything I do. Perhaps watching my young son growing up has something to do with it, but now that I have started to learn how to apply that new motivation has been fantastic.

For years, like most Americans, I bust out of the gate each year with resolutions, hit them hard, then they fade. Not this year. Since Feb., by changing my diet and adding in a 5-10 mile bike ride 3-4 days a week I am down 25 pounds as of today. Seeing the results I am more motivated to get to that next level and lose more. Focus, motivation and seeing results all by making the conscious decision to do it. Nothing more. At the end of the day it comes down to your individual ability to make the decision to do it. No one else will make that decision for you. No one can force you to do it or not, it's all you.

So why aren't you pursuing your goals?

Time to turn the page...

No comments:

Post a Comment