Tuesday, November 12, 2013

NaNoWriMo - Day 12

Holy cow, writing when you are not a writer as a profession when you have a family, kid, dog, career the NaNoWriMo challenge is damn hard. It's not that the plans aren't there rather it's life stepping in and throwing a cog into those works.

Today for example. I planned to get up at 5am this morning to write and to follow up with another session after I put my son to bed tonight. At 4:45am I was pulled out of my sleep with cries for Dad. My wife was wakened as well and glanced over to the camera monitor to see my son sitting up, sniffing, wiping his face. Uh oh. I get up and go into his room and a good, full flowing, dry winter bloody nose at the wee hours of the morn. Wonderful.

His arms and hands looked like he had done something quite treacherous and violent. Reality was he was using his full bare arms and hands to wipe his face. We headed to the bathroom to stop the bloody drips and to clean him up. By the time he was all dry and no longer runny, I tried to get him back to bed which he took to fine. I headed back to mine. 5:05am, no sense fighting it time to get up, make a cup of coffee and go write for an hour. However the boy didn't fall back to sleep and was the focus of my very early morning.

Work was busy, only was able to get a few hundred words done and tonight I wrote as I sat next to my son as he slept for as long as I could before I started to wake him from my typing. Mrs. Geek carrying our number 2 child, 8 months in and ready to be done being pregnant is doing whatever she needs to do to be comfortable. That means more work around the house for daddy, which is just fine and I love it, but the NaNoWriMo challenge is double hard with everything else.

I have lost of PTO coming up between now and the end of the month, this Thursday being the next big chunk where I plan to get in large writing sessions and make up my word gap.


No comments:

Post a Comment