Wednesday, November 13, 2013

NaNoWriMo - Day 13

Day 13, almost half way and I am almost to the half way mark for the word count. 22,161 in the books. Not bad considering I am not a full-time writer (yet) and only have a less than 2 hour slice each day to write.

Today I tried and tried to get words to paper. I thought I had a gap, I wasn't bothered all day and yet at that moment when I was focusing people were at my cube. Work and work takes priority and writing has to be fit in around family duties. But so far I am making it work. I have the rest of this section sketched out and easily can get another 3,000 words on this one alone and I have 3 or 4 more sections to do. Averaging 6,000 words a section I'll cover it.

Tomorrow I am taking the afternoon off and plan to write as much as I can and that will be the first big session to make up the gap. Ideally I want to hit my 50,000 goal by Thanksgiving so I can enjoy the remainder of the month in glory.... and to get a buffer before my second child arrive which could be within a month's time. Another motivator to get more done.

Although I am writing tons I am stopping myself to not write for the sake of quantity but try to keep a quality aspect to it. I see some NaNoWriMo pep emails to say just write, no matter what, no matter if it makes sense. I honestly find that cheap. Sure I could do that but the draft then is a wild pile of words and less cohesive. Your though journals and plans are where you mind crap junk out. Your draft is at least an area where you throw a story and see what parts stick and where the gaps are.

22,161 words all have a purpose in the story and nothing I have is for the sake of meeting a daily quota. But 50,000 is 50,000 and that's a triumph but isn't it more of one if it could all be used in some manner and not to be removed because it was gibberish?

Your Average Per Day
1,704 
Words Written Today
2,164 
Target Word Count
50,000
Target Average Words Per Day
1,667
Total Words Written
22,161 
Words Remaining
27,839
Current Day
13 
Days Remaining
18
At This Rate You Will Finish On
November 30, 2013
Words Per Day To Finish On Time
1,547

Time to turn the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment