Friday, October 12, 2012

Free Your Mind And The Writing Will Follow

Geek to Author, a name that is also a descriptive phrase of what I am striving to do. This is the hardest thing that I have done. I admire and respect those that have done it and can relate to all those trying to do the same.

Everything I have read to stay motivated, focused, what to do, what not to do is all correct. But it comes down to the type of person you are and how you work that matters. Since the start of this year I have yet to figure out how I work as a writer. Because what I know for sure is that being a technologist, manager, and designer of IT security by day, those work styles aren't translating to an isolated, solo project mentality. I don't have a team, I don't have collaboration sessions, I am alone. But that's the primary appeal for me when it comes to writing, no one else butting into the creative process.

Everywhere you read they will eventually end an article, a book, a lecture the same way. Write. Write always. Write often. Take a phrase from the movie Throw Mama From The Train; "A writer writes... always." This has been where I have been slacking.

It's not that I don't want to write, but 20 years of building IT I have trained myself that I only build was works. You don't build security systems for the sake of security systems, so everything I do as a day-walker is methodically planned out to the 'T' before I think of building. Writing is a free world where there is no right or wrong. It's OK to write crap, in fact most of the things you put on paper suck. But the process of writing is where the practice comes in.

I need to learn how to free my mind and stop worrying about if what I write is correct, formatted right, a good idea. I need to write more. 15 min a day of starting out the window and writing about the clouds, make up a story about a random person walking into the building, descriptions, observe everything around you and the subject matter is endless. Only when you write about it will it help you be a better writer.

In my opinion as soon as you write your first creative sentence you are a writer. Everyday after that moment you are working to be better... but you are still a writer.

Time to turn the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment